Virtual events are taking off. There are really no other options. Whether you want to raise money, announce some news, or just get your employees together, the next best thing to being together is Zoom.
At Avenue Strategic Communications, we’ve developed a knack for putting together low-cost but effective virtual events. And now we are going to share our secrets with you!
10. Technical problems are going to happen. Relax. Go with the flow. So what if Joe Smith decides to share his screen with the rest of the 200 guests. He’ll figure it out eventually.
9. Use the Breakout Room feature on Zoom for large events. You can rename the room to suit the theme of your event. Choose the option that lets participants move from room to room. We recently organized a dance party for a client and named the rooms after Montreal nightclubs past and present. We encouraged guests to meet their friends in their favorite club after the official portion of the evening ended.
8. Prepare your speakers to ad lib. It’s good to have a script but the real magic comes from the unexpected.
7. Use the Spotlight function actively. You can put two or more guests together on screen to bring a new dynamic to the event. Have them banter and riff off one another.
6. Always opt for a Waiting Room. Otherwise, guests will be entering your event while you are getting set up.
5. When using videos combine them into one video with buffer slides so you don’t have to worry about searching for your files during your event or accidently showing your kid’s 5th birthday party to the world.
4. Polls are a fun way to add some interactivity to your event. Have a few in your back pocket ready to go.
3. People will always take themselves off mute no matter how many times you remind them not to. Their fingers are drawn to that little microphone button like magnets. Can everyone hear me? YES!
2. Be creative. We have organized a fundraising ball, a dance party, an international news conference and various other virtual events. People want to see something new and although you might think it will be boring, after a year of being in confinement, people are up for anything.
1. Fake it ‘til you make it. No one really knows what they are doing. You are the expert. Do your research and go for it. But, if you need some help, call us!